Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Amish Christmas


Chris and I have decided this is our new Christmas tradition... and my family couldn't be happier! Growing up, my parents always did this HUGE yummy breakfast (fried pork chops, homemade biscuits, eggs, bacon, etc etc etc) and then we would always have the big meal and then numerous deserts. Well I got to thinking... that's A LOT! And lately i've really begun to HATE the feeling of being too full... so I thought a breakfast casserole would be perfect. When I saw an Amish Breakfast casserole on Allrecipes i knew I had hit the mother load... b/c we all know the Amish can cook!
What made this even better was that my wrist had REALLY been bothering me so when i went to put this together on Christmas Eve (so then all i had to do was pop it in the oven the next morning) Chris helped me out BIG time... I couldn't even stir! So here is our Christmas Tradition!

Amish Breakfast Casserole
Ingredients

1 lb sliced bacon
1 med sweet onion chopped
6 eggs, lightly beaten
4 c frozen shredded has brown potatoes, thawed
2 c shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 c small curd cottage cheese
1 1/4 c shredded Swiss cheese

Directions

In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion until bacon is crisp; drain. In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; stir in bacon mixture. Transfer to a greased 13"x9" baking dish

Baked, uncovered, at 350 for 35-40mins or until set and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.

This was a great dish and enjoyed by my whole family for days!

No comments: